Jury Awards $6.4 Million For Brain Injuries Sustained While Getting On The Bus

ABC News followed up on a brain injury case in Northern California where a man was awarded $6.4 million after being injured while getting on the bus in April of 2008.

The case involved a disabled man who was injured while being lifted onto a bus in Roseville, California. As he loaded the bus, his wheelchair rolled backwards off the ramp. The man fell 6 feet and hit his head, causing severe brain injury.

The city’s public transportation company was ordered to pay 83% of the $6.4 million verdict, while the city was ordered to pay the remaining 17%.

Falls on public transportation can be the result of improper safety measures. In Chicago, many of the city’s buses and trains are operated by the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA).

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls are among the three main causes of brain injury in the United States and they are the leading cause of traumatic brain injury among people 65 and older.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that approximately 1.4 million people suffer traumatic brain injuries each year in the United States and about 50,000 people die from traumatic brain injuries.

Our Chicago brain injury attorneys at Levin & Perconti are well educated and experienced in the complex area of brain injury litigation in Illinois. Additionally, the attorneys recognize and understand the large medical expenses and financial obligations that result from a brain injury. If you or someone you love has suffered a traumatic brain injury, our Illinois personal injury attorneys may be able to help.

Lawyer Monthly - Legal Awards Winner
The National Trial Lawyers
Elder Care Matters Alliance
American Association for Justice
Fellow Litigation Counsel of America
Super Lawyers
Contact Information